top of page

Tax Information


As an OEA member, you may be able to deduct your OEA, NEA and EEA Local dues on your 2013 income tax return.

The deduction must meet the IRS limitations on miscellaneous itemized deductions (deductible when “Miscellaneous” itemized deductions exceed two percent of adjusted gross income). To claim union dues as a deduction you must use the long Form 1040. Union dues are reported on Schedule A (Form 1040) – Itemized Deductions.

The amount of the deduction will be based on the actual dues paid in 2013. Ideally, members should look at their final paystub in 2013 to find their annual union dues paid. Members can also use the table here to determine the amount of dues paid according to FTE and months worked.

If you make voluntary contributions to OEA-PIE, NEA-FCPE, or EEA-PAC, you will need to subtract your annual voluntary contribution from your final 2013 deducted dues amount listed on your final paystub. If your district provides a very detailed Form W-2, it will be broken out there. Contributions to OEA-PIE and EEA-PAC are eligible for an Oregon state tax credit of up to $50 per individual return or $100 per joint return. OEA will mail tax receipts for PIE contributions at the end of January 2013.

The $250 Educator Expenses deduction was extended through 2013 by the “fiscal cliff” legislation. The deduction for K-12 educators can be found on line 23 of Form 1040 and line 16 of Form 1040A. Each form refers to specific instructions that explain the qualification for the deduction. The simplest tax return, Form 1040EZ, does not provide for this deduction so if you have qualifying expenses, be sure to use one of the other forms to file your 2013 taxes.

OEA does not provide tax advice to members. However, you can find more information on the official IRS website: or consult your tax advisor.

bottom of page